Wednesday 13 June 2012

Honey Face Mask

I was totally inspired by Alexandra, who writes the brilliant blog The Wallflower, to use honey as a face mask.  Alexandra does loads of posts which provide really easy step-by-step guides to creating your own luxury skin care for a fraction of the price you'd usually pay and  without all those horrible chemicals (a win win combination I think you'll find).  Her blog is a lovely slice of the internet, which I whole heartedly recommend you visit (if you do, mention that Alice sent you!). 

Anyway, back to the matter in hand.  Honey (that's right, the stuff you put on your toast or mix with hot lemon when you've got a sore throat) smeared all over your face!  I would never have thought of it, although when you cast your mind to the products you've encountered over time honey features in a lot of them - it's a very popular scent, and Alexandra explains the technical reasons as to why it's probably in those products...it's multi-purpose miracle gloop (thank you Bees)! Alexandra has suggested a few variations of the honey face mask, and I chose the one with Aspirin...I wanted to give my skin a thorough clean after all the stress and travel of the past week.

So, how to make the mask?

Simple, my friends, simple as can be.  All you need are some uncoated aspirin (I used the soluble ones, and I didn't have 10 which Alexandra suggests so I just crushed a couple) and half a tablespoon of honey.  Crush the aspirin, mix it into the honey, then slather it all over your face, wait 15+ minutes and then rinse it off with warm water, gently massaging your skin as you do so to softly exfoliate.



My experience.

Now the honey I used was a little bit crystalized, and so it was kind of runny yet had chunks in it too.  This proved to be messy but also gave the added bonus of extra exfoliation. I made up too much of the mask but I intend to use the rest tomorrow as I've stored it in the fridge so it's not a problem. 
I did find that it tried to escape my face and run everywhere so I simply held some kitchen roll around my neck to avoid the sticky winnie the pooh after he's had his hand in the honey pot look! For this reason I wouldn't recommend you wear your finest frock (not that many people are likely to do that while applying a face mask but you never can tell!). I left my mask on for approximately half an hour, and while I was watching tv patiently waiting I massaged the crystalized granules into my skin which I think really benefitted the final result...which was amazing! My skin feels so soft! I am amazed by how well this mask worked, so much so that I got my mum and dad to both stroke my face to appreciate the softness (they needed to feel the proof after they'd both laughed at me as I sat there dripping in honey!). 



As you can see I didn't look all that beautiful during this beautifying process but believe me when I say it is 100% worth it, and if you've read this post then you'll know why I have no problem sporting such a fetching look whenever I like! 

After I had rinsed the honey off (I was surprised by how easily it washed off actually, I'd been expecting it to be like removing tar!) I used my Liz Earle toner and moisturiser and I am now the proud owner of the softest face in the South West! 

Alexandra, I can't thank you enough! 

Does anyone else have any DIY beauty creations that I ought to try?

xxx

4 comments:

  1. aww, you're too darn sweet, alice! thank you so much for giving me credit, and i'm really glad that it turned out well for you! (i'd feel awful if one of these days i raved about something really awesome and someone said, "omg this turned my skin green, you bitch," or something like that.
    but i actually put extra time into my morning routine JUST for this daily mask. ha ha, i clearly have no life.
    hope all is well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Try out the strawberry Face Mask on http://bfaffair.blogspot.co.uk/
    tell me what you think of it
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up comment you left on my blog, would never have thought of honey! But must try it out can't beat cheap and au natural :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing better than cheap and natural is there?! Let me know if you give it a try? xx

      Delete