Wednesday 13 June 2012

The end of an era.

Cor, this week has been an emotional whirlwind! 

I don't even really know where to start, and I am so confused by what has happened on which day, that I think I'll admit defeat know and resign myself to writing a post that has zilch chronological sequence! 

So, three years is up, everyone has finished uni, and my ride with them has stopped.  Who would have thought that in September 2009 I would be embarking on such a life changing three years; that my plans would veer so radically off course, that I'd sink to my very lowest but struggle back, and make some truly wonderful friends along the way! 

Last week saw the first of these friends leave our little terraced house which has been home to our new family of four.  I was expecting it to be sad, but jeez we all sobbed (I'm talking crying so hard you're shaking, and then just when you think you've stopped you start all over again), and I was left feeling homesick even though I'd not gone anywhere.  It was truly horrific! 

I then spent the weekend beavering away completing my coursework file, and revising for my exams and doing interview preparation before my darling Dad drove me 250 miles on Sunday for my interview on Monday morning.  After a three hour interview which included a maths and English test - I haven't done Pythagorus or used pi or the like since my GCSEs six flaming years ago, so to say I was rusty was a mahooosive understatement! I didn't have a chance to recover from the mathematical trauma before it was back in the car to schlep through the flooding to Cardiff (a mere 200 miles), where I was unceremoniously dumped at college where I proceeded to make a right hash of getting changed in the toilets (imagine an elephant in a match box) before sitting two exams and doing a practical assessment! After a celebratory slice of lemon tart (I got a place at the college, got 92% in one of the exams and passed my practical) it was time to go to bed in my Cardiff bed for the last time *sob*.  Tuesday saw me up early to begin the mammoth task of packing up my life...it wasn't pretty!  I had an army of helpers though which made it far more emotionally bearable, I don't think I'd have been able to do it single handedly because I'd have just cried the whole time! Once the car was jam packed with just enough room for Dad and I to squeeze in it was time for more goodbyes, and the official end to my three years in the wonderful city of Cardiff.  On the drive home I just felt grief stricken, to think I'm not going to live with those girls, in that house, ever again just breaks my heart, so every so often silent tears just slipped out of my eyes. Last night and all of today have been spent trying to organise the chaos that is my room, because trying to fit two lives into one room is HARD! 

First Year
My birthday, 2nd Year


Last week...


I might not be leaving with the degree that I set out to achieve, but I have learnt so much more than I could have been taught otherwise.  At times I feel like I've failed, and that I've wasted a lot of time and money, but other times I remember that if I hadn't started down that particular route I would have never met so many of my friends, I wouldn't have become friends with my ex, I wouldn't have realised that tea isn't just a drink but a way of life, I might never have perfected the art of being hungover, or discovered the importance of brushing your teeth with three other people for the first time since being a child.  Those experiences are things that I wouldn't change for the world, and it's true, what doesn't kill you, does indeed make you stronger. 




3 comments:

  1. Awhh what a lovely post! It's always hard going through changes and leaving places & people behind. Life's a roller coaster eh :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Indeed it is, and you've just got to go with the flow sometimes! x

      Delete
  2. Aww, I feel sad for you, reading this! I completely remember how I felt when I left uni and I still get really nostalgic about it now! Wah. Would love to go back in time to relive it for a few days.
    It sounds cliche and a bit cheesy, but hopefully it'll be the start of a great new chapter for you!:)
    Mel x

    ReplyDelete